Thursday, June 17, 2010

stepping up technologically

Let me preface this by saying, a year ago I didn't believe that I needed a phone with internet. I absolutely did not need to check my facebook page or email every 20 minutes and I certainly didn't need to be one of those people who has their back arched and head faced down every second of the day.

But moving to Providence and being on my own has meant that I get lost. A lot. And I really need something that gives me an address and directions at the touch of my hand. Yes, I could ask for directions, but Rhode Islanders are all locals (once you leave the main city area), so their idea of giving directions is, "You turn left where that old Dunkin Donuts used to be and then go straight until you hit Bob's Furniture and then you'll see it when you pass the new Dunkin Donuts." It's actually pretty humorous (I've seen ads for Kohls that have the address then underneath say, "behind the old paper mill"), but it's not an accurate way to get me to where I want to go.

With that said, I ordered the new iPhone 4 and I plan on going crazy with apps and videos and music. So there. Convictions be damned. I'm excited.

In that spirit, I thought I'd post some cute iPhone wallpapers that I've found. I've seen posts for cases and accessories, but I don't have an adorable puppy to put as my background, so I'll have to make due with these:

For some like me who are so micromanagerial (should be word so I'm keeping it) that you need a constant reminder of where you are in space and time, Able Parris, is a collage artist who has created some great collages for your desktop or iPhone wallpaper that you can change every month. It'll be too late for me to use this one on my new phone, as I won't likely receive it until close to July, but I love the squid and clown fish! (link to download this HERE)


He also has some general ones if you're not too keen on being reminded of the month, like this one which reminds me of when my grandmother and I used to bird watch out her kitchen window. Golden finches were always my favorite to spot.

Another great source is Poolga, which is a collection of artists works specifically for your iPhone, iPad or whathave you. Here is a small sampling of my favorites:

Poolga - We Two - Catalina Estrada

Sometimes I just love the girly and excessively ornate.

Poolga - Eye Spy - Richard Perez

In contrast to that, this simple little submarine picture is adorably plain.

Poolga - Warsaw - Pawel Jonca

This may be the first wallpaper that gets to grace my new phone. I love the urban spring feel.

Poolga - World - Wil Freeborn

I'm so obsessed with maps. I don't know what it is (perhaps that micromanagerialness manifesting again?) but my bedroom is already turning into a gallery of maps, why not my iPhone?

There are so many different wallpapers on this site. I can't wait to get my phone so that I can use some of them!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check these out! I was just thinking that the picture of me and Hannah needed to be replaced. And the ones of my cats are getting old. So thanks! Also... once I can afford the new iPhone, I will VIDEO CHAT with you! :) lol.

    ReplyDelete